These are a little bit of heaven. They smell and taste just like autumn - you've got soft apple chunks, 'chewy' dried cranberries, crunchy pumpkin seeds and the warming cinnamon flavour. These muffins are perfect for this time of year - they are super moist and crisp on top just the way I like them. They kind of taste like Starbucks pumpkin spiced lattes which are so yummy, I think it must just be the cinnamon.These are honestly one of my favourite baking creations to date, I will be coming back to this recipe every autumn now. If you make them please have one straight from the oven for me! mm mm
Makes 8 muffins
- 200g plain flour
- 50g soft brown sugar (plus extra for the topping)
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (plus extra for the topping)
- 100ml milk
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- few drops of vanilla essence
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 75g dried cranberries
- 50-75g pumpkin seeds (optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees / gas mark 6.
2. Mix together all the dried ingredients in a large mixing bowl (flour, sugars, baking powder, salt and cinnamon)
3. In a jug, mix together the milk, oil and beaten egg until combined.
4. Gradually stir in the mixture in the jug into the dry ingredients until combined, then add in the apple chunks and mix together.
5. Next, stir in the dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds, if using, and mix until well combined.
6. Line a muffin tin with muffin cases and spoon the mixture into them.
7. Fill them quite full, then place in the oven for around 20 minutes or until golden grown on top.
8. When they are done, take them out of the oven but leave them in the tray for a few minutes while you mix together some brown sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl, for the topping.
9. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture over the top of each muffin whilst still hot, this just makes them look nicer and gives extra flavour and sweetness! Place on a wired tray to cool or enjoy warm from the oven.
I accidentally ate one when it was hot out of the oven (don't worry, it was a mis-shapen one because it didn't fit in the muffin tray). It was so delicious - this is what it looked like inside, of course the other muffins looked better because they weren't flat and squished.