I cooked these the other night and had them with stuffed pepper as well as a main course, but these would make perfect starters. These were so flavoursome from the onion, cheese and salty bacon, and the soft mushroom texture went perfectly with the crunch of breadcrumbs sprinkled on top! Some chopped fresh parsley would have finished this off but I didn't have any in the house - would also improve presentation if sprinkled on top to add extra colour.
- 2 large flat mushrooms
- 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- olive oil, for cooking
- parmesan, grated
- 1 slice of bread, torn to make breadcrumbs
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 / 180 degrees.
2. Cut the stalks off the mushrooms, and chop into small pieces.
3. Fry the bacon in some olive oil, then add the onion and mushrooms. Cook for around 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened. Set aside.
4. Brush the flat mushrooms with olive oil and fry for a few minutes to begin softening.
5. Place on a baking tray and top with the bacon and onion mixture. Grate some parmesan on top and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. (Lots of water will probably seep out of the mushroom during cooking, so don't be surprised if the tray is wet)
6. To finish off, top the mushrooms with breadcrumbs, and cook under the grill for a coule of minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are toasted.