These make the perfect starter or buffet food, they are so delicious and surprisingly easy to make. I used ready-rolled filo pastry from Sainsbury's and was really worried because I knew working with filo pastry could be quite tricky as it tends to dry out and crack, but I had no problems with this one at all! The textures were really good and spinach and feta go so well together. These will definitely impress at a dinner party so give it a go. I served this with a salad of mixed lettuce leaves, cucumber, tomato, feta and lemon.
Makes about 10
- olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 150g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 50g cottage cheese
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 10 sheets of ready-rolled filo pastry
- 100g slightly salted butter, melted
1. Heat some olive oil in a pan and gently fry the onions until softened. Add the spinach and cook until the water is evaporated.
2. Mix together the egg, cottage cheese and feta cheese in a jug and add to the onion and spinach. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until thickened.
3. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 / 200 degrees.
4. Place a filo pastry sheet on a clean work surface and brush with melted butter all over.
5. Cut the pastry sheet into 3 equal strips
10. Repeat until all the mixture has gone then bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until hot in the middle and golden brown.
11. Serve with a greek salad!