I made this a few months ago after wanting to try it for ages, since I'd never even had a fish pie before! It was just as good as i'd expected - creamy and smooth with a lot of flavour and delicious mashed potato with a crispy, cheesy layer. Perfect comfort food!
- 800g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 25g butter (+ extra for potatoes)
- 25g plain flour
- 400ml milk (+ extra for potatoes)
- 100ml double cream
- around 600g fish - salmon, haddock and white fish (pollock or cod)
I bought Sainsbury's fish pie mix which is salmon, haddock and pollock ready skinned and cubed
- bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- generous amount of cheddar cheese, grated
1. Boil the potatoes according to packet instructions.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly, to make a smooth white sauce.
4. When thickened, stir in 75ml of the cream and season with salt and pepper. Mix in half the parsley.
5. Place the fish at the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Scatter over the remaining parsley then pour the white sauce on top.
6. When the potatoes are cooked and soft, mash them until smooth with butter, milk and the remaining cream.
7. Spread a layer of mashed potato on the top and fluff up with a fork.
8. Finish with a very generous layer of cheddar cheese and cook in the oven for 30 minutes (half covered with foil, half without) or until golden and the fish is cooked.