For the sponges (makes 12)
- 125 margarine
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 125g self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp semi skimmed milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- handful of fresh strawberries, finely chopped
For the buttercream
- 125g butter (has to be lurpak!)
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- dash of warm milk
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- pink food colouring
- strawberries, to garnish
- edible glitter
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a cupcake tin with cases.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs and fold in the flour and baking powder, mixing until smooth.
4. Stir in the milk and vanilla essence, and add the chopped strawberries, mixing until well combined.
5. Spoon into the cupcake cases (about 3/4 full) then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wired rack.
6. Meanwhile, to make the buttercream, soften the butter then cream with the icing sugar, adding a dash of warm milk in to help mix.
7. When the buttercream is smooth, stir in the jam and vanilla essence until well combined, then add a small amount of pink food colouring to enhance the colour.
8. Using a piping bag with a large star nozzle, generously pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake.
9. Top with a quartered strawberry (or however you prefer) and a sprinkle of glitter!