Everyone who likes a bit of tangy sweetness will love these!
They are the perfect, Spring cupcake, particularly if you use cute cupcake cases (mine are from poundland)
They will stay moist for a good few days as well, just in case you don't eat them all at once...
I whipped them up for Mother's Day and my mum ate 3 in one go - just to prove how delicious they are.
Makes 10-12 cupcakes
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 125g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash of milk
- dash of vanilla essence
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
For the lemon drizzle icing
- 200g icing sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon, for decoration
1. Line a cupcake tray with cases and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth, beat in the eggs then fold in the flour and baking powder. Mix until smooth with a dash of milk, vanilla essence and lemon zest.
3. Spoon into cupcakes cases then bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
4. To make the lemon drizzle icing, simply mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice and stir until smooth and fairly runny. Spoon/drizzle on top of the cupcakes - as much as you prefer, then finish with some lemon zest!