Friday, 14 December 2012
Chicken and leek pie
- 75g bacon, cubed
- 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 750g leeks, sliced
- olive oil & butter
- 400g cooked turkey breast
- 25g plain flour
- 1 pint of chicken stock
- 25ml double cream
- ready rolled puff pastry
- beaten egg or milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees / gas mark 5.
2. Dry fry the bacon in a large pan for 3-4 minutes then add the thyme.
3. Add the leeks with the olive oil and butter and cook on a low heat for about 15-20 minutes, or until soft.
4. Add the turkey to the pan then mix in the flour and pour over the stock. Stir and add the cream. Bring to the boil then take off the heat.
5. Using a slotted spoon, put the turkey and leek mixture into a large dish.
6. Return the 'sauce' in the pan to the heat to reduce for a few more minutes until thickened. Pour over the pie filling in the dish.
7. Grease the rim of the pie dish and cut the puff pastry to fit on top. Pinch round the edges to seal then brush with the beaten egg or milk.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.