EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Monday 18 March 2013

Beef Bourguignon

I'm surprised to say that I don't think I've ever even tried beef bourguignon before, so when I wanted to cook this for mother's day I decided to stick with Lisa Faulkner's recipe, since her recipes always turn out well and are delicious - this was no exception. I even served it with mustard mash, as she suggested, and it all worked beautifully together, everyone loved it. I would highly recommend this recipe, even though I don't have any others to compare it to (I've heard Lorraine Pascale's is also good), because the beef was so tender and the flavours were amazing from the shallots, wine and bacon mm mm. Perfect for a special occasion.

Serves 4-6
- 500g stewing/braising steak
- flour, for dusting
- olive oil, for frying
- 200g bacon lardons
- 300g shallots, peeled and halved
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 125g button mushrooms
- 500ml red wine
- 250ml beef stock
- 1 bouquet garni (dried parsley, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf)
- salt and pepper

- mustard mash - potatoes, milk, butter, wholegrain mustard

1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
2. Coat the beef in seasoned flour.
3. Heat a generous amount of oil in a large casserole dish and brown the meat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat and set aside.
4. In the same dish, add the lardons, shallots and garlic and fry until browned.
5. Add the tomato puree and mushrooms. Return the beef to the dish and add the wine, stock and herbs.
6. Bring to the boil then cover with a lid and cook in the oven for around 3 hours. Serve with mustard mash!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment