EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Carrot cake cupcakes


I hadn’t tried carrot cake until the other week and I fell in love with it. I don’t really like nuts or citrus which are all things I thought the cake would taste of but it didn't at all. I decided to make my own mini versions and they worked really well – they are really moist and warming from the cinnamon, and have great texture from the occasional crunch of walnut and soft sultanas. The frosting is to die for and compliments the flavours in the sponge so well. The carrots on top are white chocolate cake decorations from Sainsbury’s. You could also decorate them with walnuts or chocolate mini eggs for Easter time. If you like that citrus twang, then feel free to add some orange zest into the cake mix or the frosting! This recipe will be appearing in my uni newspaper - Redbrick, yay so if you're at the university of Birmingham make sure you pick it up!

*Just a quick apology for the infrequency of posts - I'm busy at uni and my laptops been playing up. I've got lots of posts I want to do though so keep checking back! I really appreciate everyone who looks at my blog*

Makes about 12 cupcakes
275g caster sugar
50g margarine
150ml sunflower or olive oil
4 medium eggs
4 carrots, grated
50g walnuts, finely chopped
50g sultanas, finely chopped
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp cocoa powder

For the cream cheese frosting:
125g butter, softened
125g cream cheese
275g icing sugar

1.       Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees / gas mark 4. Line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
2.       Mix together the sugar, margarine and oil in a large mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs then stir in the grated carrot, walnuts, and sultanas.
3.        Sieve the flour and baking powder, cinnamon and cocoa powder into the carrot mixture and stir well until combined.
4.       Spoon this mixture into the muffin cases (about 2/3 full) and bake for around 25 minutes. Leave to cool on a wired rack.
5.       To make the frosting, whisk together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
6.       Add the icing sugar, stirring until combined and smooth. Spoon on to the cupcakes and smooth over with a knife. Decorate as you wish!

2 comments:

  1. Tried these today, 2yr old, 4yr old and husband all gave them the thumbs up. Cakes were moist and yummy and the topping, sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth!!
    Thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that's brilliant! Glad they worked well for you :)
    Thank you for your comment (and sorry for the late reply) - I appreciate the feedback and love to hear about it when people use the recipes on here!
    Hope you try some more,
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete