EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Roast chicken

This was my first time roasting a chicken and I was so pleased with the results! The chicken was really moist and had lovely flavour. I made roast potatoes and we had it with shop-bought sage and onion stuffing, yorkshire puddings, carrots and mange-tous, and instant gravy. The roast wasn't as good as one of my mum's (she will love reading this..) but I can't master everything at once so for now I'm just pleased I managed to roast such a huge thing! It was just a whole chicken from Sainsbury's - quite a big one that served 6 people, so that my boyfriend could use the chicken in sandwiches and other meals, so it works out as really good value for money. Don't let cooking a roast chicken seem daunting - I was in a massive flap about doing it by myself but realised it was super easy!
Ingredients
- 1 large whole chicken (mine served 6)
- olive oil
- 3-4 fresh garlic cloves, crushed
- Fresh or dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- 2 red onions, cut into thick chunks

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees / gas mark 5.
2. Place the chicken in a roasting tin and brush with a generous amount of olive oil all over.
3. Brush on the crushed garlic and sprinkle with the herbs as well as salt and pepper if needed.
4. Cover with foil and roast in the oven for about an hour. Then add the onions to the tin and cook for another 45 mins to an hour - the chicken should be cooked through, really moist, and slightly crisp!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment