This is always a winner and looks so classic and cute, perfect for any birthday or other party celebration, particularly in the summer seasons. I made this for my boyfriend's birthday last summer as he loves a good old victoria sponge! I always use raspberry jam for the filling because I just prefer it, it isn't as sickly as strawberry... for some reason I decided to top it with a strawberry though haha.
For the sponges:
- 225g margarine
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- dash of vanilla essence
- 225g self-raising flour
- dash of milk (I always add milk when making sponge because it gives it a smooth and silky texture)
For the filling:
It's up to you what you fill it with, I think the classic is just strawberry jam, or jam and whipped double cream, but I like to use raspberry jam with vanilla butter-cream! You can also chop up strawberries for the filling.
For the topping:
It is tradition just to top it with a dusting of icing sugar and a cut up strawberry, but you can use whipped cream or buttercream or anything you want! I again, have used vanilla butter-cream. Flavoured butter-cream would also be good, like chocolate or raspberry/strawberry.
So... for the butter-cream:
- 150g unsalted butter
- 225g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp hot milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cream together the butter and the sugar (for the sponge) until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs, adding the odd bit of flour to prevent curdling.
3. Add the vanilla essence, fold in the flour and stir in the milk.
4. Fill two 7 inch baking tins (which should be greased and lined with baking paper)
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes on 180C/Gas 4, or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle. Place on a cooling rack.
6. For the butter-cream, cream together the butter and sugar and milk, and add the vanilla extract.
7. Once the sponges are cooled, spread one with jam and the other with the butter-cream and sandwich together. Top with the remaining butter-cream, add a strawberry and ta-da!
Hope you enjoy :)