EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Thursday 16 February 2012

Goats cheese and caramelised onion tart (Valentine's Day starter)

Goats cheese and caramelised onion tart
(As seen on Masterchef Celebrity 2010 - Lisa Faulkner won with this as part of her 3 course meal)


I previously used ready made puff pastry to make this starter, but making shortcrust pastry makes this more rewarding and rich in taste and texture :) I would definitely recommend this for any special occasion!

Pastry preparation and cooking - make sure you have some baking beans or something similar as this pastry is cooked blind before the filling goes in!

I love making the caramelised onion filling (onion, sugar, butter, balsamic), it smells divine when it's cooking, and tastes even better! I made the goats cheese filling (goats cheese, egg yolk, cream) with spreadable goats cheese instead of crumbly, although I think crumbly would have worked better for texture...
I garnished with spinach leaves, a dash of balsamic, and dried thyme!

No comments:

Post a Comment