EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Monday 13 February 2012

Valentine's Day table setting

Cooking a meal for someone special on Valentine's Day?
Then you better start planning your table setting!

Mine is nothing too special, and as I live at home with my mum it is not my choice of furniture etc.

First of all, choose a colour scheme (mine is black, white and pink). Try not to use more than 3 colours, and one or two of those should be neutral shades so it doesn't look too complex or messy. As it is Valentine's day try to incorporate a pink, red or deep purple colour.
Things you should definitely use: tablecloth, centrepiece decoration, candles
I have used a linen feel tablecloth in white from Tesco, a sheet of wrapping paper from Paperchase as the centrepiece/colour/main decoration, and various candles. 
The white, engraved heart candle holder is only £1 from Tesco, an absolute bargain and must have for Valentine's Day celebrations! The black, vase-like candle holder is from Ikea (they have an amazing range of modern, chic decor). The middle candle holder is from a local gift shop that my mum manages; Temptation gifts. All the actual candles are simple tea-lights that you can get pretty much anywhere for a good price (supermarkets, garden centre, gift shops etc.)
I have had this wrapping paper for a couple of years now because I love the patterns and colour scheme and have decorated my room accordingly! Wrapping paper is great for centrepieces (I have stuck the corners down with some blu tac) and I might even consider cutting it up soon to use for various things; put in picture frames to decorate my room, use as decoration on home-made cards, or laminate and use as place mats.
The table obviously looks a little bare because I am not cooking this Valentine's meal until Wednesday ( the day after V day), so it has not yet been properly set. I don't actually have any place mats that match, what I need really is some plain black, square leather place mats that would perfect this modern look. A vase of pink roses would have also worked perfectly as a centrepiece instead of the 3-part candle holder. But I absolutely love candles so once they are all lit it will look amazing! The twig tree in the corner with the fairy lights will add to the romantic tone; I adore that decor!
Happy Valentine's day everyone :)
Check back in a couple of days time to see the 3 course meal I cooked my boyfriend.
(all pictures taken by me)

No comments:

Post a Comment