EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Tuesday 5 February 2013

Cheddar, bacon and golden syrup muffins

'A savoury muffin!? Life is full of enough disappointments...' - a quote from Miranda which I totally disagree with. I have had a few savoury muffins in my time (cheese, pesto etc.) and all have been delicious. These muffins are sort of American pancake style since it's sweet and savoury from the bacon and syrup, a combination which I think is amazing. They are soft and moist out the oven and are smoky from the bacon with that sweet tang from the syrup - to die for! They are perfect for a brunch. I would say, however, that they tend to dry out quickly and are not so good the next day, so I recommend eating them straight from the oven, or on that same day. I froze a few of these and defrosted them in the microwave so they were warm when I ate them - not quite as good as fresh but still delicious and a good way to preserve them if you've made too many to eat at one time! I got this recipe from my lovely sister who made these for me before.

Oh, and sorry that they look burnt in the picture - my oven at uni is very strong and although they look burnt, luckily they didn't taste it!
Makes 8
- 4 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 150ml milk

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Fry the bacon until crisp.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl, then stir in the grated cheese and cooked bacon.
4. Pour the oil into a jug and mix in the egg, milk and half the golden syrup until just combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 15 minutes until risen and golden brown. (A knife inserted in the middle of the muffin should come out clean)
6. Serve warm, with the remaining golden syrup drizzled on top.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment