Oh, and sorry that they look burnt in the picture - my oven at uni is very strong and although they look burnt, luckily they didn't taste it!
- 4 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 150ml milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Fry the bacon until crisp.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl, then stir in the grated cheese and cooked bacon.
4. Pour the oil into a jug and mix in the egg, milk and half the golden syrup until just combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 15 minutes until risen and golden brown. (A knife inserted in the middle of the muffin should come out clean)
6. Serve warm, with the remaining golden syrup drizzled on top.