Comforting & delicious
The blue cheese gives this dish a gorgeous, strong flavour which works perfectly with the more subtle flavours of the mushrooms and butternut squash. The best part - it all cooks in one pan!
Sorry for the un-appetising photos, but butternut squash and mushrooms don't make the most pleasant of colours...
Serves 2 (big portions)
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp lazy garlic, or 1 fresh clove, crushed
- 200g butternut squash, chopped into chunks
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 125g brown rice
- 500ml vegetable stock (use 1 and a half vegetable stock cubes)
- dried sage & parsley
- 50g stilton, crumbled (or any blue cheese)
1. In the oil, fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the squash and mushrooms and fry for a few minutes longer.
2. Stir in the rice, then pour in the stock and add the herbs. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
3. Stir in the cheese and serve!