EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Honey and balsamic salad

Ah my two favourite ingredients! I'm like Winnie the Pooh, I pretty much eat honey out the jar... so I love making my own salad dressings because I can make them nice and sweet with honey and balsamic. I know many people that are sceptic of salads because 'who wants to eat leaves!?', but you can make them taste great while still being healthy. Although they do not make the most nutritiously balanced dinner, they are perfect for lunches or as a side dish, or even a snack. I made this salad last summer on a warm(ish) day and it went down a treat. I will not put exact quantities because you can just put as much of each ingredient in as you like - the same goes with the dressing - the best way to get it right is to keep testing it and to add more of what you think it needs for the flavour and consistency that you want.

Ingredients in the salad:
- Lettuce, torn (I used some picked from the garden but you can use romaine or little gem etc.)
- Mixed leaves (spinach, watercress etc.)
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Red onion, sliced
- Cooked chicken breast, sliced
(You can add anything else you like, such as pepper, cucumber, mushroom etc. but don't forget that certain flavours may not go with this sweet dressing, but feel free to experiment)

Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tsp mustard (preferably wholegrain)
(These are just rough measurements, as said before, you can use more or less of whatever seems to work with the flavour and consistency you prefer)

Simply put the salad ingredients you want in a large bowl, and toss with the dressing until coated.
Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment