EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Saturday 17 March 2012

St. Patrick's Day Peppermint Creams

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm not Irish, but this festive day seems to be increasingly popular in Britain and America so thought I would celebrate with some delicious sugar treats. My family and I usually make peppermint creams at Christmas time, and use Christmas shape cutters such as stars, holly leaves, bells etc. I wanted to make these today 1. because I could use green food colouring since mint is associated with green anyway and 2. because I got the recipe from my favourite baking and treats cookbook of all time (I will put a picture and link at the bottom of this post as per usual!) These are so simple to make, with only a few ingredients, and they are so cute and delicious. They are light and refreshing and go perfectly with dark chocolate decorations. So if you want to whip up something festive today, these are the winners!
Makes 30 (I divided it by 3)
Ingredients:
- 300g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg white
- peppermint extract, to taste
- green food colouring
- dark chocolate, melted for decoration

1. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Whisk the egg white with a fork in another large bowl until a little frothy.
2. Beat in half the icing sugar to the egg white. Add a few drops of peppermint extract, then gradually add the rest of the icing sugar until you have a firm paste.
3. Add a few drops of food colouring and mix or knead in to the paste.
4. Sprinkle icing sugar on the work surface and roll out the paste.
5. Cut out any shapes you desire and place on a baking sheet on a tray. Leave to dry out in a cool place.
6. Melt the dark chocolate and spread or drizzle on the peppermint creams. Place in the fridge for an hour or two.

Enjoy :)

This is the book I got the recipe from, it is brilliant, it has pretty much anything you could ask for in terms of sweet treats. It even has savoury treats such as muffins, croissants etc. I definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment