EAT RAINBOW LOVE


University of Birmingham graduate with a passion for food & cooking as part of a healthy lifestyle

Twitter: @EatRainbowLove
Instagram: lottierainbow

Thursday 1 March 2012

Spaghetti bolognese

Who doesn't like a good old spag bol!?

Serves 2
Ingredients:
- 250g lean beef mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
- 1 red onion
- 150g mushrooms (optional)
- Tomato and herb pasta sauce
- 2 tsp beef gravy granules
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 180g spaghetti or other pasta
- Handful of grated parmesan cheese to garnish (or mozzarella, or cheddar)

(You can use tinned tomatoes instead of a ready-made pasta sauce and season to taste - herbs, garlic, salt & pepper - adding extra gravy granules, balsamic, or even some beef stock (follow instructions for water measurement), and allow it to reduce and thicken)

The way I make it is simply browning mince, adding onion and usually mushroom but I didn't have any yesterday ah! Then I add a tomato and herb sauce (or tinned tomatoes and add my own herbs and stock depending on what I have in the cupboard). Yesterday I just used a tomato sauce from Sainsbury's which had herbs, onion and garlic in it too.
It was quite runny so I added some beef gravy granules which added to the meaty flavour and thickened it a bit, this was delicious!
But, my absolute favourite ingredient to add (my kind of 'secret ingredient' for pretty much everything haha..) is balsamic vinegar! It tastes divine with the rich tomato sauce and sweetens it mmm, it was delicious I think everyone should add a splash to their bolognese sauce

I served with spaghetti (a mix of plain and wholewheat) and sprinkled with grated cheddar cheese as I didn't have Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment