Cottage pie is the perfect way to feed all the family - it contains 5 different vegetables, and is delicious and very filling - it will go a long way so is great value for money. You can prepare it in advance, and is a great way to get in some veggies without really noticing. Also perfect as a meal for one or two as you will be left with portions for the rest of the week or to freeze and re-heat at a later date.
Just look at that cheesy goodness making it the ultimate 'healthy' comfort food!
Sweet potato is a great alternative to normal potatoes as not only do they have a great flavour, but they are also higher in vitamins and have a lower GI, so they transform the traditional cottage pie to a more tasty and healthy meal for the family!
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- olive oil
- 500g pack of extra lean beef mince
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 5 large mushrooms, sliced
- few generous glugs of Worcester sauce
- tomato ketchup (or tomato purée, if you have it)
- dried mixed herbs
- small handful of plain flour
- 500ml beef stock
- 200g frozen peas
- dash of milk
- knob of butter
- salt & pepper
- 75g extra strong cheddar cheese
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the sweet potato until soft (about 20 minutes), and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Meanwhile, drizzle some olive oil into a large saucepan and brown the mince. Add in the onion and carrot and cook for a few more minutes.
3. When softened, add the cloves of garlic, mushrooms, Worcester sauce, tomato ketchup, dried herbs and flour, and mix together until combined.
4. Pour in the prepared beef stock and bring to the boil, then add the frozen peas. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until reduced and thickened.
5. Drain the sweet potato when cooked and return to the pan. Pour in some milk, butter and season, then mash until smooth.
6. Pour the mince mixture into a large oven-proof dish, then smooth the sweet potato mash on top using a spoon. Grate the cheddar on top and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes, or until piping hot in the middle and golden on top.
7. Serve hot from the oven with green veg of your choice (I had long-stemmed broccoli!)